UBSS Caving Basics Guide
Details of the First Hut Weekend
This is an excellent introduction to caving, and a great way to meet fellow members of the club. Travel will be arranged to pick people up from the back of the Students Union between 9.30 and 9.45am on Saturday morning. We will then drive to the Mendip Hills for a good days caving.
A meal will be provided at our club hut on Saturday evening. This will probably be a stew of some description - vegetarians will be catered for. There will then be a trip to the local boozer, returning to the hut for the night. Breakfast will be provided on Sunday morning, followed by more caving.
We will return to Bristol at about 6pm on Sunday.
....and what you need to bring
Helmets, belts and lights will be provided, but you will need to bring the following:
- A complete set of old clothes (including underwear!) to wear whilst caving. These may well get wet or muddy. You also want another set to change in to for going to the pub or sitting 'round the camp fire.
- A pair of wellies or old army boots - trainers or walking boots will get trashed quickly from caving ( but again, bring a pair to change back in to).
- An old towel and something to put wet clothes in, such as a few bin liners.
- A sleeping bag or some blankets. Our hut has bunks with (nice new!) mattresses but no bedding.
- Some cash! The weekend will cost around £10 to cover the cost of transport, food, accommodation and light hire.
- ... and of course - BOOZE!!! Remember to bring some cans/bottles, or beer money if you want to go to the pub.
(If you have any problems, ask at the stall on Thursday or Friday, or get in touch with one of the committee).
For more information on caving equipment, see the gear guide. If you don't have any suitable footwear, ask us at the stall as we have limited spare kit kicking about.
A hardcopy of the club handbook will be given to all members shortly after fresh. You can also download the PDF version of the handbook. You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to view the file. Acrobat reader can be downloaded for free.
The UBSS complies with the National Caving Association
guidelines for university caving clubs. As part of this we hold regular seminars and training sessions
for trip leaders. However, it is also imperative that you are trained, and to this end we hold training sessions
in the union stair well from about six thirty onward on a Tuesday. This is usually
every week in the first term and then every other week in the second. As well as a good place to find UBSS it is
also an excellent opportunity to practice some of the basic skills that you will need underground. If you decide
that this is the sport that you have been looking for later on we start to teach the techniques that will get you
to the bottom of the worlds deepest holes.
The University Risk Assessment we use to comply with the NCA guidelines can be viewed as an excel spreadsheet, or a pdf file.
The University now require that all trips undertaken by clubs must fill out a trip registration form. The trip organiser should either:
- Complete the online trip registration form, where it will be automatically emailed.
- Download the trip registration word .doc, then handed to the Union Reception / emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only one form need be given to the union per trip (i.e. not one form per person).